Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Traditional Distribution Research

     


Image result for entrepreneur magazine pngImage result for business.com logo

     As I continue on with my magazine, I figured that I needed to dig deeper into the whole distribution process to help create a successful magazine. According to an Entrepreneur article, distribution is defined as: the manner in which goods move from the manufacturer to the outlet where the consumer purchases them; in some marketplaces, it's a very complex channel, including distributors, wholesaler, jobbers and brokers. The conventional distribution model has three levels: the producer, the wholesaler and the retailer. This is a time-tested system with many well-established members at all levels. The primary alternative distribution channel is direct distribution. This is the model Dell, Avon and many other successful companies use. It calls for you to sell and deliver your product yourself, using your own salespeople and warehouses. Going direct can cut significant costs from the system because you don't have to provide a profit for intermediaries such as wholesalers and retailers. But slicing two steps from the traditional distribution channel tends to alienate wholesalers and retailers. Throughout this research, I found that making the most of magazine circulation and distribution begins with understanding what you want from your magazine and understanding the process of business magazine circulation. It is more than just crunching some magazine circulation figures and hiring a distributor. With this information in mind, a distributor that fits the criteria of quality of the magazine that I see myself trying to have business with is a place like NDA (National Distribution Alliance). They provide daily service to 8,000 retail and 2,000 specialty outlets, including chains and independents and their publishers earn net profits they can’t achieve through their own direct delivery or by using other wholesaler or distribution options. When thinking about location, New York is the perfect place to advertise fashion and music. NDA can reach up to 10,000 total locations in NY Metro daily with integrity, accountability and serves all of New York City, go north to Westchester, Rockland and Putnam Counties, south to Cape May, NJ, west to Philadelphia and all the way out Long Island.  And, they have a large seasonal business in the Hamptons and New Jersey. In addition, they can match the periodical mix (mass market, ethnic, special interest) to the needs and interests of each retailer’s audience plus our dedicated Sales & Marketing staff works the field every day to optimize sales and efficiencies. They are cost effective and distribute both paid and controlled circulation publications and are 100% AAM, BPA and VAC auditable. So far, this information has satisfied me and I have no doubt that if I was to make a magazine, this would be the company I would first look into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Submission